Here’s a quick tip on how to improve your auction item displays when you’re offering a trip in either the silent or live auction.
Use a photo book in your display.
“Photo book” is the name I give to books (and I use the term “books” loosely) which feature photos of the inside of the property, outside of the property, and activities to do in the area.
Think of it as a handmade version of a traditional coffee table picture book.
Sometimes these books are a few pieces of paper stapled together. Other times the pages are secured in a 3-ring binder or formal spiral binding.
(See the photo for an example of the latter.)
Any of these options are fine; it doesn’t need to be fancy.
A photo book does not eliminate the need for a well-written description, but supplements that description by telling a visual story.
Guests can flip through the book, pausing on photos that appeal to them. It quickly educates your guests
Photos I like to see in a photo book include:
- Front of property
- Back of property
- Kitchen / living area
- Bedrooms (guests can see if that second guest room has a queen bed or 2 twin bunks)
- Home “extras” such as a swimming pool, hot tub, tennis court, dock, porch, deck, etc.
- Views of the sunset / sunrise / ocean / mountains from the property, if the views are highlighted as a perk of the home
- Activities in the area (sightseeing, beaches, mountains, fishing, skiing, kayaking, farmers markets, the main street of the cute town nearby, etc.)
- A country map with the location of the home identified
Some committees will glue these types of photos onto a large piece of foam-core and display it on a large easel. That works, too.
But if you lack the space for that type of larger display, a photo book is your next best option.
To see a photo book from an auction I worked a couple of weeks ago, watch the video below.
Got other ideas?
Leave a comment below.
Dawn Marie says
This is a great idea to supplement the information on the big screens and in the auction booklet ?
Sherry Truhlar says
Yes, I think photos are a big help when selling.