If your auction checkout has long lines, overwhelms volunteers and irritates donors, this training will fix those problems.
After you take this course, you’ll know what to do at each step of the registration and auction checkout process. Even if your group doesn’t use software, you’ll master checkout!
What you’ll learn:
Using photos from actual auctions, I’ll show you the complete process, starting from a few weeks before the auction to close-out a few days after.
Learn how to…
- Staff the desk
- Track incoming donations
- Package items for sale
- Set-up silent auction tables
- Print bid sheets for the silent auction
- Print tracking sheets for other activities (live auction, paddle raise, games)
- Package items for auction pick-up
- Organize auction pick-up area
- Transfer merchandise to buyers (no hauling of items back to the office)
- Provide invoices
- Collect the money
- Understanding common reasons checkout fails.
- And a lot more!
Get clear on concepts that give you flexibility in running checkout.
- When is the right time to add more technology?
- Selecting the best registration set-up (open versus alphabetized) for your chosen venue.
- Discussion on pre-authorization of credit cards
- Choosing the best delivery method (secure or unsecure) based on your needs.
- Understanding common reasons checkout fails.
This in-depth training covers all aspects of registration & auction checkout AND includes rich bonuses.
Part 1 webinar is 60 minutes.
- Technology needed, and where to invest as you grow
- Staffing requirements
- Auction terminology (common language for terms so your committee is all on the same page)
- Best practices when it comes to assigning numbers to donations, packages, people, tables, and more.
- Two options for setting up registration, and when to use which.
Part 2 webinar is 75 minutes.
- Tasks you’ll manage pre-event
- Detailed walk-thru of the onsite process using real photos from events
- Common reasons checkout fails.
Bonuses included with this course:
- Video: How to create, complete, and use a silent auction bid board.
- Video: How to quickly create high performing silent auction bid sheets in Excel.
- Excel document: Silent auction bid sheets
- Video: How to print your own bid paddles.
- Video shot onsite: Example of event running a paddle raise using pledge cards.
- Video shot onsite: Example of registration & checkout at a school auction
- Excel document: Procurement tracking document
- Word document: Live auction clerking sheets
- Excel document: Fund a need clerking sheet
- Word document: Fund a Need individual clerking sheets
- Word document: Raffle & Games clerking sheets
- PDF document: Software vendor list
This course is best for beginners or near beginners.
- You have never run an auction or have limited experience.
- You and/or your committee need a solid refresher on registration and checkout. (I encourage my clients to watch this webinar each year before their gala.)
- You use auction checkout software but are unclear as to how it integrates into a larger process. In other words, “What’s going on in the room? How do we get data from point A to point B? How are silent auction packages handled?”
This course is NOT for you if:
- You are confident in your registration and auction checkout process.
- You have hired an outside company to manage your registration and checkout.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: We use auction checkout software. Do we need this course?
A: If you’re happy with your checkout process, you don’t need this course.
But if you know how to use your auction checkout software and still have problems (many do), this course is perfect for you! Many vendors do a great job of teaching you about their software, but they don’t get into the nitty gritty of explaining the “why” and “how” of setting up in the auction.
Here’s an analogy.
I bought a Canon camera. Canon’s instructions told me how to take flash photos using their camera. (Just like auction software companies teach you about their product.)
But it wasn’t until I participated in a photography course that I learned about proper lighting for photographs. That’s when I bought a light kit and stopped using flash all the time.
Q: We’re buying auction checkout software. Should we take this course?
A: Probably — but ESPECIALLY if you are new to checkout. About 1/3 of the people who have taken this class during past offerings already owned auction checkout software. They seek workarounds and tips not offered by the software vendor.
Denise M. –
Sherry, with our 2015 gala now in the books, your suggestions and insights in your Simple Auction Checkout DVD and book have allowed us to continue to increase the monies raised and have the smoothest checkin/checkout process in town! Thank you!
Denise M. (Birmingham, AL)
Rita M. Dal Santo –
Sherry, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your “Simple Auction Checkout” webinar. Our school has been using auction software for auction management for years and I wasn’t sure what I would take away from the class.
You simplified and demystified the whole registration and checkout process for me. In fact, this year, we are planning to implement a part of your manual procedure in an effort to speed up our check-in process. Thank you!”
Rita M. Dal Santo, Advancement & Business Associate
Green Hedges School (Vienna, VA)
Karla Hall –
The Simple Auction Checkout course was an absolute life saver for our auction gala. Our auction check out went from a disaster to flawless when we implemented Sherry’s process that she provides in this material. Very short lines, happy guests, and smiling volunteers – I couldn’t have asked for more!
Karla Hall, Manager of Advancement
Jefferson Community & Technical College (Louisville, KY)