How to double your benefit auction revenues in 15 minutes!
Fund a Needs are called different names – Raise the Paddle, Emotional Appeals, Mission Moments – but the gist is the same: Ask guests to raise their bid paddle to make a straight donation to your cause. This element in your gala will often generate more than the live auction in its entirety.
Can you imagine nearly every one of your guests raising their hand to make a contribution to your cause? Your donor base SWELLS with new contributions from new donors … and it all happens in just 15 minutes.
If you’re not doing a Fund a Need, you should be … … and if you’ve been holding one, did you know that the Fund a Need has been changing dramatically? New techniques have been introduced to make raising more money even easier. Here’s the scary fact: Well-managed appeals generate THOUSANDS of dollars. Poorly managed ones generate PENNIES. It’s a LOST OPPORTUNITY if you don’t run this properly. Look at how some simple changes affected these groups …
- From $50 bucks to $45,000: A Maryland nonprofit showed a compelling video and raised a whopping $50 (yes, $50) in 2011. After tweaking the process, the 2012 donations ballooned to $45,150. Same crowd – different technique.
- 94% increase: A Kentucky school was OK with the money raised in 2011 ($25,600 with an average gift of $39) but felt they were missing something. Tweaking the Fund a Need generated $49,670 with an average gift of $90 a year later. Same crowd – different technique.
- A new high: A Florida nonprofit that hit a new high of over $130,000 using new techniques.
- Boost of $36,000: A New York nonprofit adjusted an already successful appeal to raise an additional $36k, moving from $250,000 to $286,500. Same crowd – different technique.
- 94% increase: A D.C. nonprofit jumped from $26,000 to $50,400 in one year. Same crowd – different technique.
- First-year effort: A Maryland school that raised over $70,000 in a first time Fund a Need.
In this 90-minute webinar, you’ll learn the following:
- My FORMULA for writing a compelling “ask.” Follow this step-by-step to eloquently deliver an authentic presentation that inspires donors.
- Insider language of your gala guest: The SPECIFIC PHRASES that flip on your guests’ “must donate” switch. These are psychological triggers that entice guests to raise their paddle RIGHT THEN.
- Trends in Fund a Needs: Are you STILL USING A CLIENT SPEAKER to introduce the cause? You’ll learn why this is often a step in the WRONG DIRECTION and what to do instead.
- What Fund a Need type is best for your cause? Learn how to determine if your appeal should ask guests to donate a set amount of money (like $25), offer tiered levels of giving, or cards on a table. Learn when to do each because NOT EVERY APPEAL SHOULD BE TIERED.
- WHERE TO START your Fund a Need. What’s ridiculous and what’s right on the money when it comes to setting it up.
- Perfect Placing: When and how to introduce the Fund a Need for perfect placing, regardless of your event style (sit-down dinner versus food stations).
- BEST PRACTICES in affordable videos. Most of the ones you’ll see are NOT professionally made, so your cash outlay is nominal. And knowing how to structure it cuts down on production time.
- How to LEVERAGE UNEXPECTED GENEROUS DONATIONS that often “scare off” smaller donors from donating. Learn how to use it to INPSIRE GIVING, instead.
- How to sprinkle your Fund a Need mission throughout your gala so guests are saturated with the cause and your need.
- A simple trick that inspires up to 10% more gifts. (Who doesn’t love additional donations?)
What you’ll receive in the mail:
A DVD of the live webinar (90 minutes).
A Companion Guide (81 pages). The Guide includes a copy of the slide presentation, 2 tracking templates to match the type of appeal best for your event, and full transcripts from 6 of my most well-received Fund a Needs. You’ll literally read “what I said” on stage so you can model it.
Here is a “sneak peek” of the webinar:
To get the most out of this, I’ve also included some additional Fund a Need videos for you to watch!
Hidden on a private section of my website, I’ve posted six or so videos that were shown at actual Fund A Needs across the country. I’ve assembled these for you to watch as part of the course. The Resource Guide will reveal your weblink and password, enabling you to view those videos.
Who should watch this webinar?
This webinar is for you if you’re involved in running a fundraising event – even if no live or silent auction is part of the event. If your event will (1) have people, and (2) you have a sound system to direct guests’ attention, you can do a Fund a Need. Even casual college alumni events and (adult) birthday parties have spontaneously organized Fund a Needs and raised hundreds to thousands of dollars.
What you might not know about your presenter.
Benefit auctioneer Sherry Truhlar works several galas each year in which the ONLY fundraising activity is the Fund a Need, with no live or silent auction component. As a paid presenter (and not just an auctioneer), she has special insight into the mechanics of what makes this element of a gala succeed.