I recently wrote about 8 ways you can use Pinterest photos to get parents excited about your upcoming school auction.
Here’s another step in how to use Pinterest, the social photo pinboard, with your school auction committee.
- 68% of Pinterest users are women
- 50% of Pinterest users have children
- Almost 50% of users are 25 to 44 years old
Overall, the demographics show that the social photo pinboard is most popular with females who are also mothers, which is the identical demographic behind the planning of school auctions.
Many Moms are snapping photos, finding photos, pinning and sharing. But many do not know that it’s easy to incorporate a video pin into your Pinterest site as well.
It can be someone else’s video or a video you’ve shot and load onto YouTube or Vimeo. (Currently those are the only two video platforms that allow for easy sharing.)
Think about it – it’s just as easy to use your phone to record video as it is to snap a photo. And a video is like a photo on steroids! Video pins are just lots of photos, linked together, sharing a moment.
Video pins are great to use on Pinterest, especially for “how-to” videos (like a short demo explaining how to fill out item donation paperwork when you solicit for items) or short interviews (perhaps ask previous attendees what they liked about last year’s auction).
Once you set this up—and it doesn’t take long to do so – it’s just a click of the button to add videos to your Pinterest site.
Here’s how to share a video pin on your Pinterest page.
- Add the “Pin it” button to your bookmarks bar in your browser. Instructions on how to do so are at the top of this page. (LINK TO http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/). Just drag and drop the “Pin it” button to your bookmarks area.
- Find some videos you like or create your own and upload them into YouTube or Vimeo.
- Click the Pin It button you’ve added to your bookmark bar.
- If you have multiple Pinterest boards, you’ll be asked to select a Board you want to save it to.
I’ve been experimenting with a number of videos on my Pinterest board showcasing auction centerpieces. You can see what it looks like here. (LINK TO http://pinterest.com/redappleauction/auction-centerpieces/ I’m trying to select shorter videos that I think will be more popular with the Pinterest community.
Pinterest photos are fun, but it’s also fun to find or creative appropriate videos.
Let me know how it works for you below.